Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's raining frogs, hallelujah...

For today's Thursday News of the Absurd Will Someone Please Write This Book Inspirational Moment (TNoftheAWSPWTBIM) I present the oddest news we've had so far.

From the Telegraph, article by Danielle Demetriou:

Sky rains tadpoles over Japan

"Residents, officials and scientists have been baffled by the apparent downpour of tadpoles in central Japan's Ishikawa Prefecture.

Clouds of dead tadpoles appear to have fallen from the sky in a series of episodes in a number of cities in the region since the start of the month."

Scientists are baffled. Apparently, amphibians are known* to rain down from the sky sometimes when strong winds suck them up and carry them inland. But there were no strong winds in the region that day.

Obviously the citizens of Ishikawa and their Pharoah have made God very, very mad.

OR, there's an alternative explanation. A children's book explanation. A rollicking picture book explanation that involves, um, hmm. Er. Tadpoles trying to escape the pond? Help! Who will write me this book?

And now, to make up for the fact that I have no actual story with which to charge you, I bring you my favorite tadpole song:


* By whom was this known?! Not me.

5 comments:

Ann Finkelstein said...

Nothing like a little tune to start the morning. Thanks.

cath c said...

it is a known phenomenon (which is one of my fav words btw, esp when sung to the old sesame street alien song - phe-no- me-non - do doo di doo do, phe-no-me-non- doo doo di do....)

where i used to live in a weird glacial valley in MA we used to get them all over parking lots etc in the spring after a sudden high temp/low temp rainstorm

gross, i know and really hard to drive around...

C.R. Evers said...

very cute. I've heard of this happening before. . . . can't wait to read the book. ;0)

Jacqui said...

Ann, it was with me all day...until cath c's comment!

No, Christy, you WRITE the book :)

cath c said...

that old sesame street tune is the original earworm. or was it the witch doctor? or maybe itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini...

so sorry!