Tuesday, July 29, 2008

In Search of Lost Time, by Proust: the Jacqui's Room Notes

At long last (and I know you have been hanging on the edge of your seats), I present the tardy but heartfelt Jacqui's Room Notes for In Search of Lost Time/Remembrance of Things Past/Swann's Way,

a video which, like Moby Dick, I created using only my cell phone and iMovie,

in which I attempt to be punny with limited success,

in which you can hear Captain Destructo calling me and then busying himself banging glass spice jars,

and in which, if you get to the last scene and think "Yeah, this is really good but I'm not sure where it's going, which is okay since it's really good, but it's a little too long," well then I captured the mood perfectly, because the book is truly unique in its wandering, conversational style, but I definitely got a little antsy, and also it's cool I got to say "captured the mood perfectly" here because Proust is unparalleled in his ability to evoke the most specific of human emotional states.

I am proud to report I had many tantrums, but no official snabblefrug while uploading. Also, no actual Madelines were harmed in the making, etc. etc.

Enjoy.


6 comments:

Diane T said...

You evoked several snickers and a couple very audible groans. Excellent work!

Jacqui said...

Ooh! Snickers and groans are better than I usually do!

Kristi Valiant said...

Definitely funny :)

Since I've recently seen Peter Pan on stage, I decided to finally read Peter Pan. I created a b&w illustration of Peter and the Darlings flying across London as my contribution this week: http://kristivaliant.blogspot.com/2008/07/peter-pan.html

J. Thorp said...

See, and I thought this was a "Day In the Life" video ...

Jacqui said...

Thorp, the theme to my "day in a life" video would probably still be "Oh well; it seemed funny when I thought of it."

J. Thorp said...

Holy buckets, J -- East of Eden is beautiful, gut-wrenching, aching, poetic stuff. I can't stand to put it down, and can't call in sick in order to press through it. Grrr ...