Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do you write in your voice?

I surprised Boni Ashburn. She gave TWO OF A KIND a lovely shout-out, which included high praise for THE NEW GIRL...AND ME as well.*

But the books surprised her. As she put it:

... I was already won over by her wacky sense of humor and wild perspective on writing and life. So when I first read her book, I was expecting over-the-top hilarity- and I didn't get it. Her book was not what I expected at all! It's a sweet story, though not overly-so, and unique, and RIDICULOUSLY well-written, with subtle humor, which just isn't what I was ready for.

Boni is not the first person to be surprised by the disconnect between my blog and my books. What I'm wondering about today is why. I think it's partly because there's no pressure (or revision) here, so it's easier to let loose the goof. And I think it's partly because here in Jacqui's Room I have somehow hidden the fact that at heart I am a socially awkward six year-old; people who have known me a long, long time read my books and say, "I read the words and heard you saying them because they are so you."

But I also think it comes from my teaching style. I believe that my classroom isn't all about me and my personality, so when I teach, yeah, I am a strong voice and there's humor and I run a tight ship and etc. But overall, I believe in stepping back and letting the kids and their accomplishments be the center of attention. It makes for a quieter style of teaching, one that involves a lot less orchestrating and a lot more watching. And I think it seeps into my books, where I try to step back and let the story -- and, more importantly, the experiences and connections that readers bring to that story -- be the center of attention, without all my very strong voice getting in the way.

Is this a good thing? I don't know. I feel very, very proud of my books and of the way children connect to them and feel like they were really written for them. But every once in a while, someone is surprised, and I wonder: should I be bringing more crazy? And does anyone else have this disconnect?

P.S. I am off to LA for the SCBWI conference on Thursday, right after a real life TNoftheAWSPWTBIM. Anyone else going to be there? Come find me. I'll be the one hiding behind the palm trees, watching, and hoping nobody punches me in the head.

* High praise made even higher by the source: a great PB writer and source of one of Destructo's favorites: "You friend dragon book!"

7 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

I was very surprised too. (Wasn't sure if it was appropriate to mention it before, so i didn't) But now that you brought it up, I think you could write a hilarious picture book if you wanted to. There is room for both types of stories in the market!

lake said...

.....you be you and I'll be me, we can't go wrong seeing what we see...When things turn around without making a sound.....I just let the charactors speak to me...
So jump back up, and roll right down...it's always easy baby here in make believe town....

Boni Ashburn said...

Haha- I wasn't sure if it was appropriate either, Corey, but I always just march blindly ahead and hope people know I have good intentions :)

I especially notice this particular "disconnect" because for the most part, I write like I am to those who know me- loud and usually inappropriate and my voice is all over my writing-I have to forcibly tone it down. In public, I'm ridiculously shy and self-conscious though- so that's my disconnect I guess.

But my crit partner is like I imagine you to be, Jacqui- brassy and hilarious (and tall!)- and she also writes this lovely, poetic way about the child experience. So you aren't the only one. I razz her all the time about it :) But I also figure she's got some weird ability to tap into something that I can't in my own writing and she's going to be much more wildly successful than I'll ever be!

Hey, have FUN at the conference!! SO wish I was going this year...

Anonymous said...

I have given both of your books to friends with kids and grandkids who are not as aware as you are and I'm told you "put pebbles in their shoes." You could write a hilarious book for any age you wanted to-you have such a wonderful sense of humor.

Jacqui said...

Thanks, Corey. Maybe I shall.

lake, :)

Boni, thank YOU for the nice words and the food for thought.

Anonymous, as long as they don't say I gave them blisters...

cath c said...

oh, i'll just add, i think i have several voices in my head, but not THAT kind. some of them anyway.

so i think it's entirely reasonable that you would have a narator voice separate from the personality in your blog.

J. Thorp said...

some people have the ability to capture the whimsy and silliness of childhood if while confronting serious concerns, and you are one of those people. i suspect it's because you remember little you. it's beautiful.