Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Eeyore writes a poem

I'm home chasing Captain Destructo today, so I don't have long, but I wanted to share my other favorite Winnie the Pooh writing moment. The simplicity of A.A. Milne's voice always makes me smile.

POEM
written by Eeyore in a Quiet Moment

Christopher Robin is going.
At least I think he is.
Where?
Nobody knows.
But he is going-
I mean he goes
(To rhyme with "knows")
Do we care?
( To rhyme with "where")
We do
very much.
(I haven't got a rhyme for that "is" in the second line yet. Bother.)
(Now I haven't got a rhyme for bother. Bother.)
Those two bothers will have
to rhyme with each other
Buther.
The fact is this is more difficult than I thought
I ought-
(Very good indeed)
I ought
To begin again,
But it is easier
To stop.
Christopher Robin, good-bye
I
(Good)
I
And all your friends
Sends-
I mean all your friend
Send-
(Very awkward this, it keeps going wrong)
Well, anyhow, we send
Our love.
END.

7 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

Very cute. :-)

Sara said...

Thanks for the laugh today. You ought to post this on Poetry Friday!

Angela said...

Awwwww....

Elise Murphy said...

Yes. The problem with rhyming poetry . . .

I read poems to my kids last night before bed. They love William Carlos Williams. They've memorized the So Much Depends Upon poem and are working on the This is Just to Say poem! We'll have to pull out some Winnie, too! (sorry, just couldn't say we'll "have to pull out some Pooh,too").

Oh, that reminds me of my all time favorite book title I found at Barnes and Noble: Cooking with Pooh.

Ummm, a shameless plug: I'm having a banned books challenge over at my blog. If you're running out of 15 classics . . .

J. Thorp said...

re: Elise and WCW -- a high-school friend and I used to do "dramatic readings" of "Red Wheelbarrow" from memory -- you know, to make girls laugh. (For all the wrong reasons, but still ...)

He learned recently that I have a collection of WCW poetry because I do, in fact, love it. I, in turn, learned that *he* was making fun of the poem all those years ago.

Grrr.

Jacqui said...

Oh, Thorp, no! And aren't you all dolled up in that new photo?

J. Thorp said...

That's not me ... OK, it is, but it's not usual. (I knew someone would say something - I rarely wear a tie, even in the president's office ... fun to see folks' reactions.)