Saturday, August 2, 2008

Jacqui's Room Goes to LA: Day One


In which I present my personal highlights of the first day of the SCBWI-LA conference and let down anyone who was dying for a detailed synopsis.

Holy cow. There are ten million people here. I can't even see the podium. The parade of faculty members each saying one word took thirty minutes.

Oh, good. Here comes Bruce Coville. I love him. He's wonderful, as expected.

BRUCE: Here we are “1,000 people who decided to make their living telling lies to little children.”

Ha ha ha. This is brilliant. And --
Oh. my. God. What is that horrific clicking noise? The person behind me is typing this speech word for word. For real? Click click click. Oops. She saw my mean face. She whispers that she is live-blogging the whole conference. Just ignore her, Jacqui.


BRUCE: Why are you here? Well...

Click click click. Cannot focus. Now something on her computer is beeping. I hate her. Seriously. Bruce Coville’s speech is brilliant and funny and inspiring and deep and all I can hear is click click click. If that is what I'd have to do to blog this conference, then forget it.

Sigh.

I cannot wrap this up intelligently day by day. It is simply too big and too busy and there is no nap time on the schedule. And how late do you LA people stay up? What is it, a million o'clock? I will summarize and share next week, I promise.*

I leave you with the picture of me with Peepy.
Lisa Yee was so lovely about sharing him and even offered to take our picture, so much so that I felt strange for having asked. It is still hard for me to remember not to be awed by the live versions of authors whose books I adore.

Have a good weekend, all.

* Note: The promised summary will most likely be subjective, disorganized and incomplete. If you want decent notes from which you may actually learn something, find the blog of the Princess of Click Click.

5 comments:

Kristi Valiant said...

Thanks for posting a bit at the conference - I look forward to hearing about your whole time there. Have a lovely time!
Oh, I love Bruce Coville's work and I'll be seeing him at an SCBWI conference in Nashville in Sept.

Anonymous said...

This is so funny and creative. I love the line, "What is it a million o'clock?" Looking forward to reading more about the conference. Joyce

C.R. Evers said...

ditto on the "million o'clock" line. made me giggle.

I'm so jealous, but glad you had a good time. :-) Maybe I'll get to the LA conference some day.

dare I dream.

Christy

Jacqui said...

Thanks, all! More thoughts to be posted soon...

Stephanie J. Blake said...

It was so awesome to meet you and hang out!