Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Monkey Me!

A Respect the Mighty Picture Book feature aimed at the two and under crowd.

In Captain Destructo, jealous of the attention his sister and father have received lately, tells you about his three favorite picture books.*


1. Monkey Me!
(Monkey and Me, by Emily Gravett)

Bat! Kang'roo! Effant! MONKEY! No, mo' monkey page. Mo' monkeys! MO' MONKEYS! Heh heh. Monkeys. Heh heh. Yogurt. Again.**





2. Tuck Go Bumpa!
(A Truck Goes Rattley-Bumpa, by Jonathan London, illus. Denis Roche)***

Bumpa! Bumpa! Tuck go bumpa!

(the first morning after we return the book to the library): "Bumpa? Where go Bumpa?!" (throws every book out of book box) BUMPA! (screamed not unlike Brando screamed "Stella!")

"Honey, we returned it to the library so other babies could read it."

"Baby? Bumpa. Sigh."

(every morning since then): "Bumpa? Baby all done? Bumpa? Ovver baby done! All done! BUMPA!" (tears and stomping ensue)



3. Guh Guh Guh-Guh
(Goodnight Gorilla, by Peggy Rathmann)
Monkey open door! Li-yuh out! Effant out! Go to house! Wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up! Back to zoo you.

"Say thank you, Destructo."

"Tank-ooh! B'bye!"


* And you know I wouldn't let him blog about them if I didn't love them too.
** For an actual summary, click on the link and listen to Emily Gravett herself talk about the book.
** Also reviewed by Destructo at Goodreads

8 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

awwwww! Destructo is a very eloquent critic. Too cute! :0)

Christy

Candace Ryan said...

Go Guh Guh Guh-Guh! My son pointed out one of my favorite details in the book. The animals all sleep with stuffed versions of themselves. Too cute!

Jacqui said...

Tank-ooh, Christy.

Candace, yes! Our favorite is the armadillo's Ernie doll.

Amber Lough said...

Elizabeth's old-time favorite (that is, for a two-year-old) is Goodnight Gorilla. The first time she ever really responded to a book was that one, a year ago, when we were camping in NZ. She made the shocked face of the woman in the bed, with her mouth completely "O"ed-out, and I just about died.

Sadly, GG needs to be replaced. It's been through kiwi-squishing, dog water bowls, and toddler tantrums.

Now, her fave is Clip-Clop. You should REALLY check that one out. (Not a board book, I think.)

J. Thorp said...

Captain Destructo's reviews are great -- like Roger Ebert, I may not always agree with his assessment, but his views are informed, clear, concise and consistent, enabling me to make an informed choice ...

Does he review movies, too?

(I was eating soup when I hit the Brando comparison. I only just avoided giving my sinuses a broth-and-vegetable flush, thank-you-very-much!)

Jacqui said...

Amber, I will have to check out Clip-Clop -- thanks!

Thorp, Destructo doesn't get to watch TV or movies, so all he says when it's on is "Wash TV! Wash TV!"

And I strive, always, for spew, in my work.

Boni Ashburn said...

I (heart) Captain Destructo!!

Your post is so adorable, but it made me sad- I didn't write when my kids were his age and wish I had recorded stuff like this for posterity. I can totally hear his voice in your writing- and I've obviously never heard it before. Thanks for the post, Jacqui- I enjoyed it! :)

Jacqui said...

Thanks so much, Boni!