Thursday, October 23, 2008

We the People Hate on Texas

Welcome to this week's Thursday News of the Absurd Will Someone Please Write This Book Inspirational Moment (TNoftheAWSPWTBIM).

From UPI:

Nevada man's "micro-nation" bans Texas goods

"A man who declared his own nation in Nevada says his wife's recent move to Texas led him to ban all the state's products from "Molossia."

Kevin Baugh, 46, of the Dayton area, who 10 years ago declared himself ruler of his 1.3-acre micro-nation that also claims his two adult sons as citizens, said the defection of his soon-to-be ex-wife to Texas led him to outlaw all Texas-related items from the land under his rule, the Reno (Nev.) Gazette-Journal reported Monday."

Okay, first, this is the best post-break-up ex punishment I have ever heard. If the Mighty Thor ever leaves me, I am placing an embargo on all goods from his state.

Second, what if Mr. Baugh, or someone who did something similar, had another child besides the adult sons? What if he had a twelve year-old daughter who was just starting at her middle school? What if he made her sign up as a foreign exchange student?

I don't want angsty; I want a funny but touching middle grade novel, like Linda Urban's A Crooked Kind of Perfect. Don't make fun of the dad. Play with the possibilities for the kid. Imagine parent-teacher conferences. Imagine bringing a boy you like home to meet your dad/president of your sovereign nation within the state of Nevada. Imagine explaining to a friend's parent why you can't eat the Texas grapefruit she is offering.

Who will write me this book?

7 comments:

J. Thorp said...

I will not write you this book, mainly because you've asked me to write other stuff, and I've yet to deliver. But I like the idea. My dad was viewed by many of my friends who met him to be a bit eccentric. To me, he was Dad. You grow up with certain things, and don't know they're different until others point them out. Fascinating potential!

(You would've met my folks when I moved in my freshman year -- any recollection? My mom still thinks you're *so* cool ...)

Jacqui said...

Oh, I wish I could remember!

J. Thorp said...

Full beard and mustache, glasses, big dark broad-brimmed hat, t-shirt, suspenders, jeans, and work boots. We were the family with the '69 Ford Pickup and camper amongst the Volvos and Benzes. I think we had to feed two meters outside Durfee ...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea. Of course, I can't write it. Why don't you?

(thank you for the kind words above.)

sruble said...

OMG! Some people just crack me up. I can't believe he actually got press coverage for that. Did he send out press releases or something?

I like your idea of the girl and having to register as a foreign exchange student, and all the other fun things she'd have to do to get by.

I might write a story like that. Are you going to write the story?

Jacqui said...

Linda, welcome (kind of star struck here). Sadly, I have so many ideas -- I'm still toying around with two from previous Thursday features.

So, sruble, it's all yours. Write it! Write it!

Everyone, if you haven't read Linda's book (link in the original post), it is absolutely wonderful. And funny.

sruble said...

Maybe I will ;)